Wednesday 1 April 2015

Entry #6 - Overall Thoughts On The Course

During this term, I have learned a lot about computer programming and computer science, such as being able to reduce the amount of lines necessary for a function through shortcuts and recursion, ADTs and being able to obtain the big-Oh of certain functions. I have also learned about __repr__, __contains__, __getitem__, __setitem__, as well as general vs specific. These have helped me to better understand how to go about object-oriented programming and being aware of the steps that are necessary to using these objects in a program. 

While at times I believe that there were easier ways to implement certain functions without the use of classes and that the construct didn't seem all that relevant, I understand now the advantages of OOP. Errors can be more easily fixed and it can provide already established code and an idea of how to go about implementing a class with similar attributes. ADTs were interesting to look at, if only because of the visual images that are conjured, but I have yet to understand their role for programming projects, though the assignments and exercises have helped me understand how to go about creating functions relevant to them. Recursion and implementing ADTs has been more challenging without the tutorials and my test 2 mark certainly reflected that perhaps I did not understand linked lists as well as I did (nor did I understand the types of orders one travels in a tree), and I will certainly have to be aware of those when I study for the exam. Seeing big-Oh at the end of the course did help me understand better what I was looking at in CSC165.

Overall, I think this class has created a decent enough foundation for my path in computer science and programming. While it is a shame that the strike affected my learning process, I believe that there is a sufficient amount of material and skills that I have learned that will allow me to do well on the final exam. 

No comments:

Post a Comment